Placing iPhone 5 in DFU Mode
To restore the iPhone 5 to a factory fresh state we need to place the iPhone 5 into Recovery Mode. However under certain circumstances Recovery Mode will not work. In this case you need to put your phone in DFU (Device Firmware Upload) mode.
Caution: it is recommended that you back up all data via iTunes before continuing just in case.
How to enter DFU Mode on your iPhone 5:
- Open iTunes and connect your iPhone 5 via USB cable.
- Make sure to turn off the phone using the On/Off Button.
- Now, hold down the Home Button and Sleep/Wake Button at the same time.
- Continue holding these buttons for 10 seconds then release the Sleep/Wake Button but keep holding the Home Button until the iTunes shows you the following message:
"iTunes has detected an iPhone 5 in Recovery Mode"
- Finally, follow the on screen instructions as iTunes will guide you through the rest of the process.