How to Put an iPad 3 into DFU Mode
DFU stands for Device Firmware Update. By entering DFU mode, you are able to alter the firmware on your iPad 3.
To enter DFU mode on the iPad 3, follow the instructions below:
- Connect the iPad 3 to your computer.
- Launch iTunes.
- Hold down the On/Off and Home Buttons at the same time for 10 seconds.
- After the 10 seconds, release the On/Off Button but keep the Home Button pressed for a 3 to 5 seconds more.
- If you see a black screen, the device should be in DFU mode. If you see the Apple logo, the device is not in DFU mode.
- iTunes will notify you that it has detected a device in recovery mode.
- Once in DFU mode follow the instructions of the firmware modifying app you have chosen if necessary.