Performing a Normal (Soft) Reset on a HTC 8X
A normal reset is sometimes called a soft reset. A normal reset stops all running applications but does not erase any programs or saved data.
Caution be sure to save any unsaved data before performing a normal reset since a normal reset erases all unsaved data.
To restart your phone:
- Simply turn it off and back on.
- If pressing and holding the POWER button doesn't work, then remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, reinsert the battery, and then turn the phone on.
Performing a Hard Reset on a HTC 8X
A full reset is sometimes referred to as a hard reset. Perform a full reset when you want to clear all settings, programs and data from RAM (Random Access Memory).
Caution if you perform a full reset, your HTC 8X returns to its default settings and looses all information that is not recorded in ROM (Read Only Memory).
The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the phone settings. To perform a hard reset from phone settings:
- Slide to the left on the start screen.
- Tap Settings then About.
- Tap Reset Your Phone and finally tap yes.
To perform a hard reset using the phone buttons:
- With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.
- Wait for the screen to show the instructions on how to do the factory reset, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.
- Then press the following hardware buttons in this order: VOLUME UP, VOLUME DOWN, POWER, VOLUME DOWN.