Performing a Normal (Soft) Reset on a Blackberry 9900 Series
A normal reset is sometimes referred to as a soft reset. A normal reset stops all running applications but does not erase any programs or saved data. Use this method if the device becomes unresponsive.
Caution be sure to save any unsaved data before performing a normal reset since a normal reset erases all unsaved data.
To perform a soft reset simply remove and reinstall the battery.
Performing a Hard Reset on a Blackberry 9900 Series
A full reset is sometimes referred to as a hard reset. Perform a full reset when you want to clear all settings, programs and data from RAM (Random Access Memory).
Caution if you perform a full reset, your Blackberry 9900 Series returns to its default settings and looses all information that is not recorded in ROM (Read Only Memory).
To perform a hard reset:
- Select "All" or "Menu" depending on your device.
- Select "Options" then "Security".
- Tap "Security Wipe".
- Enter "blackberry" without quotes in the text field then "Wipe" to confirm.
To delete data from the messages application, contacts and other applications make sure you:
- Select the "Emails, Contacts, Etc" Check Box.
- Select the "User Installed Applications" Check Box.
- Select the "Media Card" Check Box.